Thursday, January 20, 2011

Quiltmaking by an Ignorant Quilter

I just had to have this fabric.  There are a few babies soon to be entering the family circle so I actually have a reason, unlike the usual scenario for impulse fabric buying.  The problem is I am not a great quilter.  I have made a couple of projects but they involve squares only.  Big ones and little ones.  The problem now is I have the fabric but not pattern or directions telling me what to do.  Fun fabric, an idea and penciled equations are all that's needed right?  Here is my story.

OK, cutest fabric set ever.  Pokey Little Puppy fabric sold in panels, just like the book from way back when.  It can be made into a soft book (but with no words) or it be used as I did, in a quilt.  I cut out the "pages"  and thought it would work as an Irish Chain style, as that pattern requires a big square in the center.  Good so far, then it became obvious that this square was not an easy 8 or 6 inch, it was 7.5.  Math!  When making up the squares problem two came up, the puppy squares were not square - but more off grain.  Some trimming  was in order but it was minimal.   From there things progressed with the usual goofy mistakes.  Has anyone done this before?

The border and back went together as planned, amazingly.  The machines worked well and were great to use.  The one I used for piecing was a Necchi Mira.  The quilting was done with a Pfaff 131, with the exception of the little bit of free motion work on the borders done with my Bernina 730.   It seems each machine has something it does better than the rest.

The backing was off and did not fit perfect, I poked myself with a needle when hand sewing the binding and ran out of thread while quilting the borders.  Then........
It came out just fine.

I can't wait to make another one!  The directions need some serious revamping, and so they can not be posted for your own protection and sanity.

1 comment:

  1. I am making 2 Harry Potter quilts for my boys and I discovered that the pictures aren't square. I solved this problem by framing the squares. It's much easier to 'correct' the size of the squares if you only have to trim the frames. Great blog. I've read all of your posts. Lots of useful information.