Thursday, June 16, 2011

Washing a Big Cut of Fabic


My gosh, I got this helpful hint recently and had to share it.  Forgive me I do not know the name of the person who wrote this but they are a member of Treadle On.  For those who do not know, that is a group of people who use treadle and hand crank sewing machines.  I went to them years ago for help when I could find it no where else.  Usually if I sought help with such a machine I got a a horrified look and a comment such as "You actually use that old thing?  Get a new one!"  I recommend this group.  Here is a link to the main website:
Treadle On's Website
Often there is very helpful advice on the email group about topics related to sewing techniques in general.  
Sometimes we sew for years by ourselves and so never hear the great solutions to common problems we all have. 


Here is such a problem:  How can I wash a big or heavy piece of fabric without it tangling up in the washer and dryer?

This is a common problem for me as I use upholstery fabrics often for uses other than furniture.  They can be coats or bags but it's nice to pre-wash them for any future cleaning.  What a mess they can become in the process.  Here's a solution.

Sew the ends and pin the corners before washing.  It works, here is how to do it in pictures.  The fabric is a heavy cotton 60" width and 5 yards in length.
Zigzag cut edges.
Fold and pin.  You can have several layers like this if needed.
Wash and dry with pins in place.
 Comes out great, no raveling no tangled fabric in the dryer!  That means less, or in this case, no ironing the fabric for use.  Yay!

2 comments:

  1. I missed this the first time around - I'm remembering this one, thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog. I love it!
    I like to do larger cuts of fabric in a front loading washer at the laundromat.

    ReplyDelete